Friday, November 1, 2013
Halloween is HARD!
Halloween for most kids is a blast. Lots of fun picking out costumes and candy, running around talking and laughing with friends. For an aspie, it is much more difficult. Take picking a costume for example. There are so many choices first of all, and even when you narrow it down to a certain character, there are multiple colors, designs and fabrics. It took us 2.5 hours to find the perfect costume online. It had to be the newest Spiderman complete with gloves. The gloves had to be ordered at a different website and I was praying they would show up. After the costume was planned it still wasn't smooth sailing. The weather was going to be horrible. My friend called and said they were thinking of moving Halloween to Friday. We always meet at our best friends house and the kids all go together. Well, my little guy did not like that idea at all. Halloween is on the 31st and we cannot trick or treat on any other day. I told him so I could start preparing him. Still not sure if that was the right thing or wrong thing to do. He hid for awhile and was very upset for awhile. The neighborhood decided to do trick or treat on Halloween. Thankfully. The gloves arrived too, however they were too small and that caused an issue. He was not happy at all. He decided he did not want to dress up and was going to stay at home. The time came to get ready. All of a sudden he was getting into his costume and that was really good. He still said he was not going trick or treating, but wanted to dress up. Fine, I can work with that too. I told my husband we needed to take a bucket because I knew once he saw everyone else going he would want to go too. Hubby tried to make our son get a bucket but since he didn't want to go he refused. He didn't want to bring extra clothes in case he got wet and cold, because in his mind he wasn't going trick or treating. It was very windy and raining very hard. That ended up being a battle, but I went up and talked to our little guy and he came down with his bucket and clothes. Always having a plan B is crucial I am told, and I am thankful for that advice. Of course he went trick or treating and seemed to have a good time. He came in and sorted all of his candy and it made him feel calm. Sorting is something he can control and does calm him down. All math does really. The day was so mixed up and crazy he couldn't get to sleep. His whole routine was disrupted and that made him feel very uncomfortable. The day after has not been much better. We are still trying to get back into a routine, and get him back to his happy place. We did have a meltdown of epic proportion this morning all over him not wanting to get his own lunch. It went from that to missing his best friend from school and why don't the Transformers (who are real to him) come and visit since he is their biggest fan. It lasted about 30 mins and it wasn't until I really held him close and rocked with him did he calm down. He still did have to get his own lunch and do school work, but the afternoon has been much better. I think for the next couple of days we are chilling out and really getting back to our routine. I am learning how to handle things. Having a plan B really worked for us last night. He even forgot his mask, and had a moment of frustration, but that was quickly forgotten when it was time to go. The Holidays are going to be crazy busy and his routine will be disrupted. I am praying for patience and understanding. I can easily go with the flow and expect my kids to as well. It is hard for me to understand the need for such a rigid routine that MUST be followed or something bad will happen and an answer for EVERYTHING. Saying I do not know is not good enough. He truly needs a concrete answer. Life will get better. It may get worse while we are working through some stuff, but it will get better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment