Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Changes in schedule
Changes in schedule are very hard for our son, who is nine and has Aspergers. Halloween is tomorrow and the weather is going to be very nasty. Wind, rain and thunder and lightning. We always go to our friends neighborhood to go trick or treating with them. Lots of fun is had by all. Today she sent me a text saying the community may do the trick or treat on Friday instead. That sounds so much better to me. I thought I was doing the right thing by telling our son that it may be a possibility that trick or treat may be a day late. Well, let me tell you how that went. Stomping of feet, sadness, madness, frustration. Halloween HAS to be on the 31st. Even if there was a tornado out, he would want to go because it is Halloween and it is what we have always done. He ran outside into the shed and I was finally able to convince him to come out. All he wanted to do was go to his room and be upset. I had some errands that needed to be done. Should I have put those off to let him chill for a bit? We did do the errands. The first part of the drive was him making up scenarios in his head about what will happen if we don't trick or treat tomorrow. It was mostly bad people coming to get us and him not wanting to do anything Halloween ever again. It was pretty rough. I kept thinking how hard it was for him. How I wished I could reach inside his brain and slow it down. It seems so simple to me, the weather is going to be miserable so why not delay the outdoor stuff a day. He will still get to trick or treat just a day late. It is not that simple for him. It just broke my heart. How do I help with this? He did not want to be comforted in any way. Even when we were at our last stop for Halloween candy to pass out, he was upset. Did not want to hear about Halloween or even see the candy. He was able to pull himself out of his frustration, but the whole day has been off. Just getting little things done today is a challenge. We have found that music really helps and he has had it on all day. He even took his stuffed dog into the library with him and that never happens because he is afraid of being embarrassed. We talk things through after a meltdown so we can figure out what triggers we can avoid. I have read an amazing book and we are trying to implement things to help. It will be A LOT of trial and error. I have a journal of things that are working, have worked, and our epic failures. This blog is where I can put down my thoughts of the day and maybe come to an epiphany if I am lucky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment