Friday was still a lot tough, but we made it through. Saturday was a great day!! It was one of those days that we didn't have to leave the house and although there was not rigid routine the kids were able to chill. Our 13 yr old took our 9 year old out to play. That was great for our little Aspie. He actually played with another child he knew from school. Our 13 year old told the older kids to lay off his brother because he is has aspergers. Not something I am sure I wanted him to do, but I love the fact he was looking out for his brother. As I look at it know I think it was a good thing. It let the older kids know he wasn't just being obnoxious and he was trying to fit in. We also had our neighbors kids over for a couple of hours to play. He did a great job. There were a few issues that were handled quickly, and didn't cause a meltdown. He still had his snack at 3 and was happy his friends could join in. At the end of play time he did not want anyone to help him clean up because they would do it "wrong". That is okay. It is his choice, the room still got clean.
I made cupcakes and he helped, which was awesome. He did get mad that I covered them and was worried the icing would get nasty. That did cause a bit of a meltdown, but a snuggle and some talking helped him. He is just so particular.
I really loved yesterday. It makes those days that are really tough a little better. I remember the good days and know that we will get through it. We have been able to curb some meltdowns just by bear hugs and soft voices. Realizing that yelling does the exact opposite of what I am trying to accomplish.
God gives me the strength to get through the bad days, and blesses us with the good ones.
I am hoping to start teaching him some calm down techniques soon. He is not very receptive right now and I am praying that will change after some time has passed.
No comments:
Post a Comment